Typically there are artists, who manage geometry, and designers, who manage gameplay. Bungie has titled an architect as the "glue" between these two. This is the role Mike fills at Bungie (as well as a finishing artist).
- Broad Timeline of level and game
- Napkin sketch
- Concept Art
Aspect 1 : The Hook
- Promenant features in the rooms
- Don't create mazes for player to get lost in
- Force orientation without using force :)
- Should obviously be easy to grasp and navigate
- Suggest a tactic by geometry, lighting, etc (no force)
Aspect 2 : Scale
- How large should the level "feel"
- Engagement ideas/planning
Aspect 3 : Combat Elements
- AI Blinds
Aspect 4 : Movement Elements
- Player Shortcuts (make the player feel like he discovers ;))
- One-way paths
- Ninja paths
- Vehicle flows
Mike then shared some concept art, geometry and finishing art with us. Link to presentation will be posted next week.